One of CASA’s primary objectives is to identify issues that may affect the clean water efforts of our member agencies and tackle them head-on. This means we often advocate at both the state and federal levels on a variety of topics.
We work with a team of lobbyists who are among the best in their field. Working closely with CASA staff, these influencers engage CASA members to write letters, attend meetings, and take other actions to ensure a powerful and influential voice at the Capitol.
2017 State Legislation
- View the 2017 Bill List
2017 Position Letters
- CT allocations letter – August 16, 2017
- AB 1129 (Stone) Oppose – May 19, 2017
- AB 574 Quirk Support SEN EQ – June 20, 2017
- AB 574 Quirk Support – March 15, 2017
2016 State Legislation
View the 2016 California State Legislation Matrix
SB 163 (Hertzberg) – Recycled Water: Ocean Dischargers
SB 163 by Senator Bob Hertzberg would prohibit wastewater treatment plants with ocean outfalls from discharging into the Pacific Ocean and instead require them to recycle 100% of their treated effluent by 2036. Because of the substantial impact and precedent this legislation would set for all waste dischargers in California, CASA has formed a subcommittee of agency representatives to provide technical assistance with our advocacy efforts. CASA is working with our partner organizations in Sacramento to advocate that SB 163 reflect reasonable approaches to increasing water recycling in California.
2016 Position Letters
- Little Hoover Commission Testimony – October 11, 2016
- Support for Wastewater Cap & Trade Funding Allocations – May 9, 2016
- SB 970 (Leyva) – SUPPORT – March 23, 2016
- SB 1301 (Hertzberg) – SUPPORT – March 24, 2016
- AB 2022 (Gordon) – SUPPORT – March 21, 2016
- SB 919 (Hertzberg) – SUPPORT – March 24, 2016